Monday, April 24, 2017

Downtime: In the Spaces Between...

The material in the first and second sessions of my campaign were the product of a few months of work: originally I was going to run it back in November of last year but those plans fell through and I ended up putting it back in the oven for a while.  The time spent was well worth it: the town of Hawksmith grew organically (not EVERY detail got planned out, but I got to know more about it and the people in it) and the adventure hooks & setting got smoothed out and integrated much better.  By the time I was ready to run the adventure, I had more confidence in it than I had before, and I think that came across as I dipped my toes into DM'ing for the first time.  Confidence has never been my strong suit, but playing D&D I find it easier to overcome some of my difficulties (expect a post about that one of these days...)

As my campaign gets put on the back burner again for further development, I sail into uncharted territory (so many metaphors...).  Eventually the decisions the players make will dictate where the major storyline will take them and from there I will begin to plan accordingly, adding a new town or towns, characters, etc.  In the meantime, I'm giving them something to do as a side-quest but I'm on the fence as far as exactly what happens.  To say more will spoil it, but they'll either get a simple adventure, or an adventure that goes deeper that it seemed on the surface.

Or the simple interaction with the people of Hawksmith could lead to an improvised, off-the-cuff adventure.  It's hard to tell: you can't always predict what the players or their characters will do and things could happen quite unexpectedly.  Once again, that's one of the beauties of playing a tabletop RPG: sometimes it all evolves on its own.

As a player, I hope to return to the regular game soon.  Life happens, and our bi-weekly game doesn't always get played bi-weekly because people have other commitments.  It's life, that's the way it works.  Hell, this week I'm the one with commitments (which never happens), because my wife and I are taking a little vacation and will be out of town for a few days.  As per the usual setup, if more than one person can't make it, the game is postponed for another week or two; however, if I'm the only one who can't make it, the game will go on without me.  This is the way this game has always worked, and I'll send along my character sheet so someone can "bot me" and I won't miss the precious XP. In this game my character, Flint, is a dwarven fighter: I'm using Matthew Mercer's Gunslinger Martial Archetype but planning in multiclassing into rogue soon.  It's a fun character to play, and my DM (who is a player in my campaign) is really good at working with players so they get the most enjoyment out of their characters.  I'm excited to see what the future holds for Flint as well as the other members of the party, an illustrious group of misfits, hermits, and has-beens.

But I'm not giving up my vacation just so I can play this week.  Screw that: real life trumps fantasy life always, and I'm ready for some R&R.  Then, when I come back to the grind I'll be ready to see where my players (and my game) go next.


No comments:

Post a Comment